Tuesday 11 August 2009

Bottled...



Police uncovered a “mini museum” of bottles when they raided grandad Seisling Floppet's home in Abergele following a tip off on the Crimestoppers hotline, prosecutor James Neary told Llandudno Magistrates Court yesterday.

He pleaded guilty to one count of possessing eight bottles of rare vintages.

His solicitor said: “He was under the impression that the collection was so old he was not committing an offence. He’s a pretty scared person. He has never been in trouble before.”

District Judge Richard Williams said: “This is somebody who had an unhealthy interest in glass bottles who must have known he was proscribed from having them. I am asked to accept that no money changed hands.”

After the case North Wales police Sergeant Rob Taylor said: “I am delighted. glass bottle collecting was a Victorian pastime but even 100 years later people think they can still do it. But some are very rare and the consequences are that they are driving these very glass suppliers towards extinction.”

RSPB (Royal Society for the Preservation of Bottles) investigations officer James Leotard said: “The message from this case is that the courts and society will not tolerate bottle collecting. It should be a thing of the past.”

Bottle hoarder Floppet yesterday insisted he’d done nothing wrong, and said his collecting was merely a “hobby”. Speaking to the Daily Host at his home after the court case, he revealed he also has a collection of ceramic bottles. And he has collections of clay pipes, gramophone needle boxes and Derby County FC football programmes, among other nick nacks.

Floppet, who described himself as a practising Christian, said: “I started collecting them in 1960 aged nine. I remember Telstar was in the charts. My father offered me some empty bottles as a gift. I’ve not been caught drinking and driving. My little vice is collecting things. It is only a hobby. I didn’t know it was wrong. I thought it came under the same rules as taxidermy.”

He added: “Some of the bottles are probably from the 30s or even Victorian times. I feel sorry for the glass makers that have gone but they are long dead. I don’t go into recycling bins. If you climbed up to a recycling bin and fell, your life would be over – just for some empty bottles.”

The former joiner and cabinet maker criticised the anonymous person who tipped-off police about his collection, saying: “It was a horrible thing to do.”Floppet, who receives Jobseekers Allowance, plans to sell off some collectables to boost his income. He said: “They will be my pension. I’ve been offered £15 for one bottle.”


No comments: